Saturday, November 19, 2011

Fartlek

I was going to run stairs yesterday, but like last time, I ran out of time in the morning and went at night when the gym was full, so I did a fartlek run in the indoor track instead.

I was going to run ten laps again, but my quads were pretty sore and my calves and feet felt hot, so I stopped after a lap and walked a bit. At that point, I was debating whether or not to stop and go home. Basically, I was pretty sure I couldn't run ten laps. However, I really didn't want to stop, so I did a fartlek run.

It was fun. I like fartlek runs. It's only my second one, so I'm still working on my barefoot form at higher speeds. This time was definitely more natural than last week. I'm improving on my cadence. Previously, my legs didn't want to move that fast, but now they're moving alot easier. I felt my posture was better as well. It's sort of nice running at night because I can see my reflection in the windows and correct my form.

As for my aqua lites, I'm really starting to like them. Last time, I was unsure what I thought. They felt loose, which I wasn't used to. However, I found that as long as I tied them right, they wouldn't shift too much, and that's the only problem with looseness. They give my feet plenty of room to do what they need to do, and the soles are thin enough to allow plenty of proprioception. I think I'm honestly more excited about them now than I was when I first got them.

I truly miss running barefoot, but these are the next best thing. Unfortunately, my feet feel hot in them because they're waterproof and therefore not that breathable, but I just need to get used to that. I'm not sure why they decided to make the aqua lites with aquaphobic material. I mean, they're pure road shoes. The neo trails are the same way and I'm guessing they got alot of complaints about it because they're releasing a new trail shoe with a mesh top for breathability. However, the neo trails make a great winter shoe, so I'm not fretting about it.

Also, the aqua lites have almost no tread, so they don't work well with ice. However, it's actually sort of fun running on black ice. It forces you to run correctly. If you overstride or push off, you'll slip, so you have to land under your center of gravity and barely kiss the ground. I actually think it might be a good way to learn form. I might do a few outdoor runs with my aqua lites now.

I'm really starting to enjoy running. I'm feeling more confident and I feel like running every day even though I know I shouldn't just yet. I can't wait until the day I can. Maybe once I'm running three miles or so. I want my feet and legs to be built up. I only recently started my fartlek runs and I have yet to start stair stepping, and I want to have done both of those for a while before I start back-to-back runs. I'm feeling sore in my quads because of my fartlek runs and I'm sure I'll feel even more when I start stair stepping. But this is a good thing.

Also, Lee Saxby says we should squat instead of sit as often as we can. It sounds sort of funny, but he says it uses many skills similar to barefoot running. I've been trying it out. My balance isn't all that great just yet and I can feel my calves stretching when I do it. I imagine after a while, it will feel natural. He says that in countries where people often live without furniture, squatting is common, so I imagine it becomes fairly comfortable after a while. Hopefully, it helps with my runs.

The Sock Doc says we shouldn't start any anaerobic exercise until we have an aerobic base. However, he doesn't say how you really know when you have it or not. I'm pretty darn sure I don't have one, so I stopped doing pushups. However, since I don't have any way of really knowing when I get there, I'm planning to start anaerobic exercise once I start running three miles. That's about a month and a half from now. I think I'm going to start with Jason Robillard's program and sort of make it up from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment