Monday, October 17, 2011

Back on Track

I ran a lap this morning without pain. It felt great. I didn't want to stop at a lap, but I had learned my lesson in the past. I'm going to run three times a week, increasing my distance by a lap each time until I reach about a mile and a half, at which point, I'll slow down the increase. I predict it will be about 9 weeks before I'll be able to run a 5k. In other words, if the 5k were in December, I'd be in good shape. Running it in a week or two is nuts.

Since I hadn't run for a week, I'd forgotten how natural running barefoot feels. I had been in shoes all week, and shoes feel so clunky and wobbly compared to bare feet. I have a pair of Chaco sandals, which I've been in love with for the few months I've had them. But now that I'm getting used to being barefoot, I'm starting to get annoyed by their thick soles. I've been trying to find some minimalist footwear for casual use. Unfortunately, most minimalist shoes are pretty flashy and expensive. However, Teva released a minimalist sandal for around $65, the Teva Zilch. Depending on the color, it can look pretty conservative compared to other minimalist footwear. If it weren't october, I'd be ordering a pair now.

As for winter-wear, I don't know of any alternatives. My Merrell True Gloves are way too flashy for me. I would gladly wear a pair of Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites, but they're $130. It looks as though I'll have to be happy with my thick-soled shoes for the winter. Maybe next summer I'll get a pair of zilchs. Maybe someone will buy my chacos. They're in great condition since I've only had them for a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment